Saturday, February 7, 2015

Cilantro Lime Dressing

In my early twenties, I had a friend who told me if I named my inner fat kid, I would be able to acknowledge and release it.  Her name is Prudence and I am now 28 and she has not gone anywhere.  I've tried to tell her to be quiet, but she makes demands.  She screams to be satisfied.  She particularly enjoys the taco salads from Q'Doba and the dressing they put on it.  Fortunately, there is only one of these in my area and it is twenty minutes from my house, so I do not go there very often.  It's near a beach that I frequent, so occasionally, we'll stop on the way and then swim all day (I don't lay on the beach, I do actually swim ALL day).  On more than one occasion, Prudence asks for taco salad with this dressing when we are not going to the beach.  In my attempt to eat healthier, I try to reason with her that we are trying to eat healthy.  She doesn't care, she has needs.  I looked at a number of recipes and tried to find the elements that I could taste in Q'Doba's dressing, while it is not a perfect replica, it is certainly tasty and reminiscent of their dressing and most importantly, satisfies Prudence.

Full Disclosure: This is not my picture.  I forgot to take one.  I will try to remember to take food pictures for tasty recipes.  This one happens to look a lot like my dressing AND my food processor, so I have borrowed it from: https://ifindrecipes.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/cafe-rio-dressing-done-kalynskitchen.jpg

Cilantro Lime Dressing

  • 2 tbsp Lime Juice (or half of a lime)
  • 1/4 cup Olive Oil
  • 1 1/2 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
  • 1/2 tbsp Honey
  • 1 tbsp Chili Garlic Cholula Hot Sauce (or 1-2 jalopenos chopped and seeded, I've done it both ways, just depends what you have in the house)
  • 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1 cup Plain Nonfat Yogurt (Can use Greek Yogurt if you prefer it thicker)
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 cup of cilantro
  • 1/8 tsp salt
Put everything in a food processor and run until pureed.  Serve on any salad you like.  I made healthy taco salads with chicken for dinner when I made this and then I just made garden salads that I brought to work and put it on those too.


Nutrition Facts:
Serving Size: 2 tbsp

Calories: 80
Fat (g): 6.8
Saturated: 0.9
Polyunsaturated: 0.7
Monounsaturated: 5
Trans: 0
Cholesterol (mg): 0.6
Sodium (mg): 101.1
Potassium (mg): 78.6
Carbs (g): 4
Fiber: 0.1
Sugar: 3.3
Protein (g) 1.5
Vitamin A (%): 1.6
Vitamin C (%): 3.1
Calcium (%): 5.2
Iron (%): 0.7 

No comments:

Post a Comment